Applied BioMath is looking for a highly capable infrastructure focused backend engineer to join our software engineering group. The mission of our group is to deliver cloud based modeling and simulation solutions to scientists, in support of better, cheaper, and faster drug development.
In this role, you will help shape our tech stack as we develop large scale, distributed, and service-oriented architectures. You will contribute widely by gathering requirements, automating deployments, and developing backend code. Additionally, you will engage with scientific and mathematical experts in support of drug discovery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Implement and own the containerization of our stateless software services as we migrate to Kubernetes
- Contribute to our adoption of managed AWS database and middleware services where appropriate. Communicate decisions and rationale to stakeholders and team members with diverse technical backgrounds
- Develop and maintain FastAPI-based API services
- Support DevOps - contribute to Terraform and Ansible scripts
- Play a role in architectural evaluations and decisions as we adopt more managed services. Collaborate with the team to communicate the tradeoffs between different architectural approaches
- Take an active role in the development and implementation of SDLC processes to support quality in an Agile production environment
- Support our employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes innovation, diversity and inclusiveness, team collaboration and respect
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Comfort with collaboration in diverse environments of biologists, mathematicians, scientific programmers, software developers, and other technical disciplines
- 5+ years creating well written, performant, and easy to understand code with high test coverage
- 2+ years of designing and developing cloud native solutions using AWS
- Proficiency in both relational and NoSQL database modeling
- Solid understanding of microservice architectures
- Experience with microservices orchestration, preferably Kubernetes
- Strong Python
- Experience with other languages such as Java, Rust, Julia
- Experience with several components of our current stack: Terraform, EC2, NGINX, RabbitMQ, AWS RDS, DynamoDB, CircleCI, ELK
- Obsessive in delivering quality software
The following is a plus, but not required:
- Experience in serverless technologies
- Experience in coaching, mentoring, developing staff by partnering with them to provide career development planning and opportunities
- Experience with FastAPI or another async framework.
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Frontend experience with Angular
- Experience in life sciences or research environments
- Experience with low-level languages, especially C/C++
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
- General office environment
- Remote work or office in either Concord, MA or Pleasanton, CA
Applied BioMath (www.appliedbiomath.com) is a rapidly growing, people-focused, organization that uses innovative modeling and simulation approaches to revolutionize drug invention and accelerate drug development for cutting-edge therapeutics. We have a fit-for-purpose philosophy and our projects are specifically designed to answer the unique needs of each individual client. From systems models that integrate disease pathophysiology with therapeutic mechanisms of action to population pharmacokinetic models to complex exposure-response models and model-based meta analyses, we offer a comprehensive suite of modeling and simulation services combined with strategic drug development support. Our analyses have assisted both large and small pharma and biotechs to: prioritize portfolios, identify knowledge gaps, prioritize and design experiments, predict optimal drug properties, and support clinical trials and indication/patient selection. Our results have reduced costs and accelerated timelines of drug invention. We work closely with drug program teams, scientists, program managers, protein engineers, and chemists, as well as senior managers, to best affect the outcome of drug programs in research, development, and clinical trials. We are frequently thought of as a member of the project team.
At Applied BioMath, our passion for science, technology, and helping patients is what drives our desire to revolutionize drug invention. Our team members are innovators and entrepreneurs at heart, and enjoy pioneering this paradigm shift of how drug invention is done. We love to learn, challenge ourselves and others, and create new science and opportunities. Scientists and all team members at Applied Biomath have the rare opportunity to work across therapeutic areas on treatments ranging from traditional small molecules and monoclonal antibodies to the most innovative modalities, like gene therapies, cell-based therapies, conditionally active therapeutics, antibody-drug conjugates, bispecific and multispecific antibodies, prodrugs, protein degraders, RNA-based therapies - here, you’ll see it all! As a member of our team, you’ll be on the forefront of drug discovery and development in an exciting, collaborative environment that supports your growth as a leader. We offer challenging projects and opportunities for development combined with comprehensive benefits and flexible work arrangements that help you balance your professional and personal lives. If interested in joining our team, please send your CV/resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applied BioMath is an equal opportunity employer; we take pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment. We will not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotions or any other employment practices on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are a candidate in need of assistance or accommodation in the application process, please contact email@example.com.