Applied BioMath is looking for a highly capable backend engineer to join our software engineering group. The mission of our group is to deliver cloud based modeling and simulation solutions to scientists, in support of better, cheaper, and faster drug development. Help shape our tech stack as we develop large scale, distributed, and service-oriented architectures. Contribute widely by gathering requirements, automating deployments, and developing backend code. Engage with scientific and mathematical experts in support of drug discovery.
- Implement and own the containerization of our stateless software services as we migrate to Kubernetes.
- Own RDBMS persistence layer of our software stack.
- Contribute to our adoption of managed AWS database and middleware services where appropriate. Communicate decisions and rationale to stakeholders and team members with diverse technical backgrounds.
- Develop and maintain FastAPI-based API services.
- Support DevOps - contribute to Terraform scripts.
- Play a role in architectural evaluations and decisions as we adopt more managed services. Collaborate with the team to communicate the tradeoffs between different architectural approaches.
- Take an active role in the development and implementation of SDLC processes to support quality in an Agile production environment.
- Support our employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes innovation, diversity and inclusiveness, team collaboration and respect.
- Comfort with collaboration in diverse environments of biologists, mathematicians, scientific programmers, software developers, and other technical disciplines.
- 7+ years creating well written, performant, and easy to understand code with high test coverage.
- 2+ years of designing and developing cloud native solutions using AWS services.
- Solid understanding of both relational and NoSQL database modeling and design.
- Strong understanding of service oriented and microservice architectures, principles, and patterns.
- Experience developing with microservices orchestration, preferably with Kubernetes.
- Strong Python.
- Experience with other languages such as Java, Rust, Julia
- Experience with several components of our current stack: Terraform, EC2, NGINX, RabbitMQ, AWS RDS, DynamoDB, CircleCI, ELK
- Obsessive in delivering quality software.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring, developing staff by partnering with them to provide career development planning and opportunities.
- Experience with FastAPI or another async framework.
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Frontend experience with Angular or React
- Experience in life sciences or research environments
- Experience with low-level languages, especially C/C++
Applied BioMath (www.appliedbiomath.com) is revolutionizing drug invention by helping partners accelerate best in class therapeutics into the clinic. We do this by integrating disease biology, therapeutic mechanism of action, rigorous mathematics, high performance computing mathematical modeling approaches. Our analyses have assisted both large and small pharma and biotechs to: prioritize portfolios, identify knowledge gaps, prioritize and design experiments, predict optimal drug properties, support clinical trials, enable indication/patient selection, and help understand deep biology or generate testable hypotheses. Our results have reduced costs and accelerated timelines. Our approaches have been proven across multiple therapeutic areas including; oncology, immunology, immuno-oncology, cardiovascular, CNS, for a multitude of indications. We work closely with drug program teams, scientists, program managers, protein engineers, and chemists, as well as senior managers, to best effect the outcome of drug programs in research, development, and clinical trials. We are frequently thought of as a member of the project team. If interested, please contact email@example.com.
Applied BioMath is an equal opportunity employer; we take pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment. We will not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotions or any other employment practices on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are a candidate in need of assistance or accommodation in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org