Senior/Principal Scientist - Modeling
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Senior or Principal Scientist of quantitative systems pharmacology (QSP) modeling to work on quantitative systems pharmacology and mechanistic PK/PD modeling projects of different therapeutic modalities. The ideal candidate will work closely with Pharmaceutical and Biotech teams to build fit-for-purpose mathematical models that help drive decisions in drug development. Models may describe a drug's mechanism of action, signaling pathways (intra- and cell-cell signaling), disease mechanisms (description and mechanistic), and drug toxicities.
Apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Participate as representative on multiple customer and internal project teams and work with biologists and project lead to translate biological/mechanistic understanding to mathematical models
- Understand client’s questions and work closely with clients and internal scientists to define the modeling strategy and the scope of the model to effectively and efficiently address customers’ goals
- Develop, calibrate, and analyze mathematical models
- Clearly communicate modeling results to customers with diverse background
- Write reports for the modeling work Perform internal review and QC of other colleagues’ modeling work
- Develop new algorithms, methodologies, protocols and test procedures that contribute to internal & external partner goals
- Participate in internal and external team discussions, and contribute to project team strategy, especially the computational strategy
- Perform literature searches and text mining to help inform model development
- Help establish visibility for Applied BioMath’s modeling expertise by presenting at external meetings and draft publications
- Participate in writing grants to develop Applied BioMath internal QSP models and modeling capacities
- Work with business development teams to draft statements of work for client projects
Required Skills, Abilities and Education:
- PhD or equivalent in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, biophysics, applied mathematics, biology, biochemistry or related field
- Experience with PK/PD model, QSP model, differential equation-based models to describe biological systems; at least 2 years industry experience at the Principal level
- Expert in differential equations and coding with MATLAB or other relevant languages
- Deep understanding and ability to independently implement standard model analyses (Monte Carlo simulation, sensitivity analysis, parameter optimization)
- Basic understanding of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics for small and large molecules and drug candidates is highly desired
- Experience in building models for oncology, immunology, immuno-oncology, or neuroscience is highly desired
- Experience with population PK/PD models, statistical modeling is a plus Industry experience at pharmaceutical or biotech companies is a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, experience working with multidisciplinary teams and leading projects
- Experience managing workload and timeline and track record of delivering work on time
- Record of scientific achievement through peer-reviewed publications, invited oral presentations, or patents
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
- General office environment
- May work remotely or in our Concord, MA office
Applied BioMath (www.appliedbiomath.com) is a rapidly growing organization that uses innovative modeling and simulation approaches to revolutionize drug invention and accelerate therapeutic research and development. We have a fit-for-purpose philosophy and our projects are specifically designed to answer the unique needs of each individual client. From systems models that integrate disease pathophysiology with therapeutic mechanisms of action to population pharmacokinetic models to complex exposure-response models and model-based meta analyses, we offer a comprehensive suite of modeling and simulation services combined with strategic drug development support. Our analyses have assisted both large and small pharma and biotechs to: prioritize portfolios, identify knowledge gaps, prioritize and design experiments, predict optimal drug properties, and support clinical trials and indication/patient selection. Our results have reduced costs and accelerated timelines of drug invention.
At Applied BioMath, our passion for science, technology and helping patients is what drives our desire to revolutionize drug invention. Our team members are innovators and entrepreneurs at heart and enjoy pioneering this paradigm shift of how drug invention is done. We love to learn, challenge ourselves and others, and create new science. Scientists at Applied BioMath have the rare opportunity to work across therapeutic areas on treatments ranging from traditional small molecules and monoclonal antibodies to the most innovative modalities, like gene therapies, cell-based therapies, conditionally active therapeutics, antibody-drug conjugates, bispecific and multispecific antibodies, prodrugs, protein degraders, RNA-based therapies, all from very early in the pipeline into clinical support - here, you’ll see it all! As a member of our team, you’ll be on the forefront of therapeutic discovery and development in an exciting, collaborative environment that supports your growth as a scientist and as a leader. We offer scientifically challenging projects and opportunities for development combined with comprehensive benefits and flexible work arrangements that help you balance your professional and personal life.
Applied BioMath is an equal opportunity employer; we take pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment. We will not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotions or any other employment practices on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are a candidate in need of assistance or accommodation in the application process, please contact email@example.com.